I was so excited when the day came to collect our new Lurcher, Johnson, from the Dogs Trust that I didn’t give a thought to Lurcher and greyhound dog beds.
The good people at the trust had piled us up with all sorts of goodies, a collar, lead, harness, food and a voucher for his visit to the vets.
It was only when we got him home that we realised we were lacking a bed.
Fortunately we had a large piece of foam which we covered with an old duvet. This would do until we had chance to buy a proper bed.
But what type and what size was a bit of a mystery.
Being part Greyhound any bed would have to be of a fairly large size, that was obvious. But somethings weren’t.
I don’t use a dog cage so the bed is Johnson’s only private area and as such is highly treasured by him.
For this reason I opted for a bed with sides rather than a mat but that’s up to you and your pet.
Important Considerations when buying a Dog Bed
It must be big enough.
A Lurcher or greyhound is no small dog and though I have seen Johnson screw himself into a bed made for a Jack Russel I don’t think it would be comfortable for long.
The normal recommendations are XL ( 48 x 36 x 33 ) for a male dog and Large (42 x 28 x 33 ) for a smaller female.
If your Lurcher is crossed with a Grey Hound and a smaller dog then you may have to alter the sizes accordingly.
Washable Removable Covers
I found this invaluable as my boy manages to smell no matter what you do. Five minutes in a field and he’s rolled in something.
If you’re lucky it’s horse muck, if you’re not it’s fox poo.
So the ability to easily wash the bed comes high up on the list of must-haves.
Whilst I can understand the attraction of a bed that you can wipe down I can’t imagine that it would be very comfortable.
If your dog is in a damp environment then a waterproof base with a comfortable pad would be a good investment.
Raised Dog Beds
My boy sleeps in our living room and so is not bothered by cold and drafts but if you think that this might be a problem then a raised bed should help.
The same reasoning applies to cold floors where the cold can travel up and could result in joint pains.
I have already mentioned removable covers for washing but some dog beds have additional covers available.
This is great if you want to wash one and use one or if your dog, like mine, plays hide the ball in his bed and sometimes catches the cover causing small rips.
Better a new cover than a whole new bed.
Top 5 Lurcher and Grey Hound Dog Beds
Bunty Deluxe Soft Washable Dog Pet Warm Basket Bed Cushion with Fleece Lining – Made in the UK – Brown XX-Large
- Made in the United Kingdom by Bunty Pet Products Limited.
- Available in three colours Brown, Blue and Cream.
- Tough stitching gives bed durability assisted by non-slip base.
- Machine washable up to 30 degrees c and 800rpm.
- Available in sizes Small, Medium, Large, XL and XXL.
- Amazon Best Seller
PetFusion Memory Foam Dog Bed for Medium and Large Dogs, Grey (Slate Grey), X Large (112x86cmx25cm) – A touch of Luxury
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS: (i) SOLID 10 cm MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort, reduced joint pain and improved health, mobility, & energy. (ii) Recycled ‘green’ polyfill support bolsters are generously filled. (iii) Durable & comfortable polyester (65%) & cotton (35%) twill
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support and comfort. (ii) Water resistant & tear resistant cover. (iii) Non-skid bottom. (iv) Blends in seamlessly with your décor. (v) Replacement covers available separately
- EASY TO CLEAN: (i) Removable cover is machine washable. (ii) Simple to spot clean & remove hair. Tumble dry on gentle setting. Do not use bleach when washing
- IDEAL FOR LARGER SIZE OR MULTIPLE MEDIUM DOGS: (i) 112 x 86 x 25 cm. Can easily hold 75+ kg. (ii) [Search PetFusion large or x large pet blanket for new matching blanket]
- EASY ASSEMBLY to PEACE OF MIND: (i) ‘Bolsters’ (couch arms) pre-loaded in fabric cover, simply insert memory foam base and zip closed. (ii) 12 month warranty on any part that is broken due to manufacturer defect
KosiPet Extra Large Deluxe Individual Pocket Sprung Memory Foam Mattress Waterproof Dog Bed Beds Black Fleece
- Kosipet Deluxe Individual Pocket Sprung Memory Foam Matress Dog Bed
- A Huge Size Of 114 x 74 x 15 cm. The Depth Is Made Up By 5cm of Memory Foam On The Bottom Then 100s Of 5cm Springs With A Further 5cm Of Memory Foam On Top
- Individual Pocket Sprung Memory Foam Encased in A Waterproof Lining Once Encased This Helps Prevent Tick And Flea Infestation
- The Outer Cover Is fastened At One End With Velcro And Removable For Machine Or Hand Washing At 30 Degrees
- Possibly The Best Bed On The Market Giving Your Pet The Comfort It Deserves
The Dog’s Bed, Premium Plush Orthopedic Waterproof Memory Foam Dog Beds, 5 Sizes/7 Colours: Eases Pet Arthritis, Hip Dysplasia & Post Op Pain, Quality Therapeutic & Supportive Bed, Washable Covers
- Extra Large 117 x 71 x 15cm (Grey Faux Fur top with Suede sides) waterproof protective inner & durable hypoallergenic Oxford fabric. 10cm base, high stability premium foam and 5cm of premium grade, high density, extremely comfortable, high-care, orthopedic memory foam
- A waterproof removable and washable inner protects The Dog’s Bed from accidents and incontinent issues. Wash cover & inner seperately with the zipper closed, preferably by hand or on a gentle wash cycle. Fabric resistant to molds, mildews and dust mites – replacement covers available. Can also be used as an outdoors bed
- Premium grade, high quality, luxury memory foam and support foam, tested by experts to provide your dog with a
sleeping experience in line with 5 star hotels whilst providing uniform and contour-balanced support – The Ultimate Dog Bed – Fit for a King or a Queen:)
- Excellent medical grade orthopedic support for older dogs providing therapeutic comfort for arthritis pain, muscle stiffness, hip dysplasia, arthritis and aching joints, contouring perfectly to your dog for maximum comfort and a sound night’s sleep
- Suitable for all dogs, at any age, particularly those who love to stretch out and laze about offering them probably the world’s most comfortable and luxurious sleeping bed – and quite possibly even more comfortable than your sofa or your bed:)
Ellie-Bo Dog Bed with Faux Suede and Sheepskin Topping for Dog Cage/Crate, Extra Large, 42-inch, Black
- Dimensions 100cms x 66cms x 10cms
- Partitioned mattress reduces movement of stuffing. a common problem with inferior beds
- Anti slip base, faux suede sides and faux fleece topping
- Removable, machine washable cover
- Water proof and breathable inner cover
As you would imagine the price differences are considerable.
Here are the Amazon prices at the time of writing.